Expert Advice From a Trusted Roofer
Dealing with a leaking roof is a nuisance at best, and a complete disaster at worst. As soon as you spot a leak, act speedily to reduce any further damage.
- If water is dripping from the ceiling, place buckets, pans, and pots under the leaks, in order to collect the water. As you can imagine, this is necessary to prevent floor and furnishing damage, that may be inflicted as it accumulates.
- Move everything that is located under the leak. Make sure to remove all electronic appliances, not only out of the way of the dropping water, but also away from any splashing.
- Once you secure the room, go into the attic to locate the leak source. Look for wet areas on the insulation, water tracks down the walls, or water pools on the decking. Find out where the water is getting in, and whether it is damaging the ceiling panels or tiles. You may be looking at two different locations.
- When the leaks and rain have stopped, cautiously inspect the roof for apparent signs of damage. Look for cracks, holes, broken shingles, low spots, loose or damaged caulk, as well as flashing separated from the roof. If the water appears to be coming in from around the drip edge or the eaves, look for damaged fascia board. There may be places where the shingles have pulled back from the edge of the roof.
- Unless you are a skilled and experienced roofing contractor do not climb on your roof. Contact a professional roofer to come and give the roof an in-depth inspection. The company will provide you with a detailed report of any observed damage, and suggest solutions in order for the issues to be fixed.
- If you notice damage to your ceiling, call in a remodeling contractor, or have your insurance agent inspect this damage. In either case, you should get an in-depth report as to the extent of the damage, and how it can to be fixed.
- Once you find out that roof repairs need to be completed, begin contacting roofers to collect estimates for the job. A reputable contractor will offer a fair price, a few options based on your roof’s condition, as well as a guarantee on the quality of their work.
Once roof leaks occur, decisive and swift actions are required to mitigate further costly damage. When the rain stops and the sun comes out, that doesn’t mean the issue has gone away. It is just laying low, waiting to hit you and your property with even greater force. Consult a trusted roofing company, such as Fabulous Roofing, of Brooklyn, NY, to make sure your leak issue will be properly fixed.